Create an effective mission statement for your business by following these steps:
Remember, a mission statement can be just a few lines or it can be an entire page. These are some questions that you should ask in order to get a picture of your businesses goals and mission and put them down in words.
- Why are you in business?
- What are your reasons to start a business, what you want from it and what led you to start a business of your own.
- Who are your customers?
- Which people are trying to reach out to with your business or product and what are you doing for them through your business?
- What is the image of your business that you want to convey?
- What picture do you want your customers, employees and other people related to your business to see your business as?
- What kind of an image do you want to create for your business?
- What is the single most important thing that you want people to see about your business e.g. quality, guarantee, service etc.?
- What is the nature of your products and services?
- What factors determine the pricing and quality of your product?
- How does all this change over time?
- What is your role do you play in the business that helps to organize and lead your business?
- How does your business differ from competitors? You should never forget the impact of competitors on your business. If you ignore this aspect your business will suffer.
- How are you going to do things better, cheaper or faster than the competition?
- How do you use technology, capital, processes, products and services to reach your business goals?
- What is the underlying philosophy and values that guide your business?
Creating a business mission statement
Creating a mission statement for your business requires and should be given adequate time and thought. The first thing that you need to do is get a clear picture of every single facet of your business. This can be done by asking the questions that we have listed in the previous post.
Many entrepreneurs discover that making a business mission statement helps them get a clearer picture of the objectives and serves as a motivational tool in the future as well. Just the process of writing a mission statement helps them to discover and question certain facets of the business which otherwise could have been ignored. It helps clarify the reasons and motivations behind you starting your own business.
Easy Steps To Create A Business Mission Statement
Involve the people connected to your business.
it is usually a good idea to involve the other people in the mission statement because they might have a third-party perspective and enable you to see the strengths and weaknesses of your business better. they may be able to pinpoint certain aspects which you might have otherwise missed. if you do not have any partners or investors, you can take the opinion of knowledgeable family members and close friends. however, be sure to pick only positive supportive people who truly want you to succeed.
Set aside the time to write the business mission statement
mission statements can be short that encompass a few lines or an entire page. they are rarely longer than that. however, the thought process behind making a mission statement should be given due time and several hours and even a couple of days if required. when you think about your business several things might come to mind. it takes time to come up with the language necessary to describe the very heart and soul of the organization and something that serves as inspiration to everybody involved in the business.
Plan a date
if you need to involve other people in writing a mission statement for the business, set aside a date to do this. inform these people beforehand and write a list of topics to discuss with others.
find a quiet and comfortable place away from instructions and make sure that you cooked with refreshments and supplies such as adequate paper and pencils before you begin. not everyone might understand what a mission statement is all about so you might have to explain its meaning and purpose before you begin.
the brainstorming of a mission statement can be done by yourself or if you’re involving other people, by taking ideas from them. consider every aspect and i didn’t matter how silly it sounds at that point. if there are more people involved in making the mission statement, you can ask them to write a statement individually and you can later on, in these statements by taking the choicest bits of each one of them and fit them together.
Use positive and inspiring words
A mission statement does not have to be a formal business document. the language and the words that are used should signify the spirit behind the business. if you want to create a cheery mission statement, don’t hesitate to use unusual words even if they do not sound very formal.
Once your mission statement is ready, you can start spreading the word. If you have a website you can post it on that. you can send it out as a newsletter, you can even use it for a publicity release. You can put it up in your office where your employees and visitors can see it everyday. you can print it on company materials such as brochures and letterheads.
A mission statement which is always in sight will help you keep sight of your objectives. by keeping your mission statement you can stay close to the purpose, mission, goals and the spirit of your business. Many entrepreneurs review and read the mission statement from time to time because it helps them stay focused on the ideas and agendas and reminds them of the philosophy they first started the business out with.
How To Review Your Mission Statement Regularly
If things go according to plan, your business will grow and evolve with time. Where once you were looking at local sales, you could go national and even international. Where once you handled the business with a couple of employees, you could grow to a bigger office space with more than a dozen employees. Your product line could become bigger or you could diversify.
All this means that you mission statement might need a revamp. When businesses change, the mission statement needs to be updated as well. An outdated mission statement that no longer represents what the business is, is misleading and of no use to anyone. Worse, an inaccurate mission statement gives out the wrong image for your business, if you use it in public documents as well such as newsletter, letterheads etc.
It is not only the changes in the business that require for a mission statement to be updated. There can be changes in the economy, the market, your competitors etc. all of which have a direct impact on your business.
Review your business mission statement to make sure it accurately represents your current business strategy, placement, products, philosophy and goals.
A mission statement should remain concurrent with the growth of a business and effectively represent the position of your business in the current economic and social environment.
- Review mission statement to represent current business strategy and position.
- Current goals represented in mission statement.
- Updates with growing business and team.
- Always says what your business represents in terms of current economic scenario and purpose.